Friday, July 30, 2010

FI: L'Eclisse

I'd be lying if I said I fully understood L'Eclisse after a single viewing. I can pick up on some of the threads of Antonioni's ideas, both visual and thematic, but I can't quite follow them through the meandering movements of his plot (if that's even the right word). His usual focus on architecture and objects over people is here, but so are moments of delight and seemingly-uncondemned eroticism. And so much time is taken up by scenes in the Italian stock market, scenes of which I honestly don't know what to make. I'm also not sure I've got the desire to watch the film again and sift through it all, but that's not to say it isn't a good film. It's a tough one, existing somewhere outside of "good" or "bad," and one that's not meant to be enjoyable all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment